Carroll County MD new club van

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 22 21:43:18 CDT 2004

Carroll County Amateur Radio Club has obtained an old TV van similar to
the AMRAD van.  A nice set of pictures are posted at
http://www.qis.net/%7Ek3pzn/van.htm

We might find some common interests with these fellows.

We discovered a cracked exhaust manifold on the Ford 351 engine and it
will not pass safety inspection until we get it fixed.  I am going to
try a repair.

We are getting a satellite terminal that will give us an Internet
connection.  With that connection we can do a lot of things to support a
disaster.  One thing we could do is to download commercial photo
satellite pictures of the disaster site.  We can then process these and
print out useful pictures for the people managing the response to the
disaster.

We need to get prearranged permission/access to these files and we need
to get someone in AMRAD up to speed on what is available and how we
would decide just what to download and use.  Much of the commercial
stuff is mulitspectral so a wise choice of the proper spectral picture
could help make the pictures we provide much more useful.  Better yet
the combination of several spectral pictures into a composite picture.
Anyway, do we have someone interested in working on developing some
expertise.  Also we could use a nice wide carriage photo quality ink jet
printer to make nice large printouts.

I have been charging the batteries and the terminal voltage is coming up
but has not reached full charge yet.  Perhaps tomorrow full charge will
be achieved.  Right now I don't want to let all the batteries get
discharged and deteriorate.  We need a better charging system.

I have scrounged up a 65 amp Leece Naville alternator that actually
provides 135 amps above idle on a police car.  Sandy is looking at how
we can combine such an alternator with a small gas engine into a nice
portable motor-generator set to go with the van.

Frank