Need help with Solaris & Blade

Andre Kesteloot andre.kesteloot at verizon.net
Mon Nov 29 23:20:45 CST 2004

From: Terry Fox <mailto:tfox11 at cox.net>
To: tacos at amrad.org <mailto:tacos at amrad.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 8:14 PM
Subject: Need help with Solaris & Blade

Well, I really did it this time.  I need somebody to give me an idea on
how to fix a Sun Blade 1500 & Solaris at work.  I just got it a month
ago, it runs some software that analyzes television interference between
stations.

The problem is that I tried to copy the files from /etc to another
folder to back them up in preparation for editing to get it on our LAN.
Well, X-win didn't copy the files, it moved them.  All files from /etc
to backup_etc....  I saw what it did, and tried to move the files back -
the box crashed.

Now, it won't boot (no surprise).  But, it also tries to boot from the
hard drive, crashes, and tries to boot again, an endless loop.  I tried
puttin in the Solaris install CD, but it keeps booting from te hard drive.

Can anyone tell me how to get this box to stop trying to boot from the
hard drive, and boor from the CD instead.  I will reload Solaris and the
other software once I can, but I can't seem to figure out the magic
incantation to "boot from CD".

Thanks for any assistance.
Terry

.