supercooling

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 5 21:53:45 CST 2004

Hal,

In the microwave range, we are seeing low noise amplifiers for satellite
antennas readily available with noise temperatures below 100 degrees
kelvin.  These amplifiers use gallium arsinide transistors and run at
ambient termperature.  I have wondered what these devices would do at
lower frequencies for low noise.

This all suggests hams could build amplifiers with noise temperatures
less than the termperature of the amplifier and its devices.  Cooling
normal devices too far may cause them to cease operation rather than
lower the noise level. Perhaps a compensated bias arrangement could
overcome at least some of this problem.

All that said, cooling might be an alternative approach that would get a
ham into low noise designs.  In other words, "never say never".

Frank