GPS shutdown ?

Robert Stratton bob at stratton.NET
Tue Dec 21 07:43:20 CST 2004

It appears that there's a new executive committee for management of the
  constellation:

 From AVweb (an aviation news service):

Perfect Storm Unlikely, Says AOPA

     When the Bush administration announced changes in GPS policy last
week, the possibility that GPS could be shut down to deny its use to
enemy forces or terrorist groups drew the most headlines, and generated
much GA concern. But there is really nothing to worry about, says AOPA.
"GPS is absolutely critical to safety of flight," said AOPA President
Phil Boyer. "This new policy recognizes that, and adds even greater
protections for civilian use of GPS." Such a shutdown would occur only
under "remarkable circumstances," an administration official told
reporters. AOPA notes that in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks,
GPS remained online. AOPA says it worked with the administration to
draft the new policy and there is nothing in there to threaten GA users.
"The military has always maintained the option to deny GPS to a hostile
force within a limited geographical area, and they continue to have that
option under this new policy," said Boyer. "But now there is a very
clear directive that this be done without unduly disrupting civilian
use." The policy emphasizes the critical importance of GPS and says the
administration is committed to making the system stronger and keeping it
free of user fees.

...As Oversight Shifts Away From Military

     While the Bush plan expresses concern about GPS security, it also
shifts responsibility away from the military, creating an executive
committee to manage the global satellite system that will be co-chaired
by the Defense Department and the Transportation Department. The policy
explicitly recognizes the extent to which civilian and commercial
infrastructure has come to depend on GPS, and states the importance of
maintaining and upgrading the system. It also reflects concerns that
GPS's pre-eminence is threatened by the Galileo system, under
development in Europe. "We take the challenge of Galileo seriously. We
intend to retain leadership," said Jeffrey Shane, DOT undersecretary for
policy, Government Computer News reported. The U.S. and the European
Union are exploring ways to ensure interoperability between the two
systems, Shane said.