THE MYSTERY OF EYE MIND FUNCTION

David W. Borden dborden at gvtc.com
Tue Apr 4 07:31:10 CDT 2006

Andre and y'all Amraders,

I have  been reading this great book called "On Intelligence" by Jeff
Hawkins.  Jeff is the one who founded Palm Computing and then
Handspring and is most famous for the Palm Pilot "Graffiti" method of
getting stuff into your hand held computer.  The book tells of Jeff's
idea of how we think using the neocortex.  The neocortex is about 2mm
thick, the size of a large dinner napkin and has six layers containing
billions and billions (no one can really count them) of neurons and
trillions of connections.  Jeff is not interesting in building
brains, he
wants to build smart computers.  The human mind is so fascinating.
We do not really know how it works.  Jeff presents a cool idea of
how he thinks it works, but mankind has trouble thinking about how
man thinks.  Women, of course, think differently (different
connections).

We arrive slowly at identification of a face in about 100 steps.  In
that time this Powerbook can do lots of compute cycles, but not
recognize a face as well.   Here are his basic four ideas:

The neocortex stores sequences of patterns.
The neocortex recalls patters auto-associatively.
The neocortex stores patterns in an invariant form.
The neocortex stores patterns in a hierarchy.

So all thinking is pattern matching.  Anyway, get a copy of the book
and pass it around Amrad, it makes great Saturday taco
talk.....david, k8mmo