Fwd: could this be posted (from Mike Chisena)

John Teller jsteller at spottydog.us
Tue Apr 11 21:23:17 CDT 2006

The problem these days is you never know what is in an IC until you see
what it is connected to.  Lots of 16-pin parts these days are
microcontrollers - so not only do you need the part, but the software
therein as well.

If it's a generator controller, the ICs are probably Op Amps of some
sort - pretty easy to figure out what kind once you figure out what each
pin is connected to.  Generators (actually alternators if they produce
AC) are usually pretty simple beasts to control - put more current
through the rotor and you get more current out of the field windings.
Most of the circuitry is there to prevent overshoots and such.

--- JST