New problem on 144.390 (APRS) in our area

Iain McFadyen mcfadyenusa at yahoo.com
Mon May 8 19:54:50 CDT 2006

Greetings everyone.

Someone in this area has mis-configured their APRS setup, and is
re-broadcasting what sounds like UIVIEW callsign announcements onto
144.390MHz.

I believe it is UIVIEW because it is the only program I know which uses a
northern-English accent for the annunciator's voice!

If you listen on 144.390, you will hear the APRS packets of information, but
from time to time, you will also hear the voice announcements. The
announcements are announcing what APRS callsigns have been heard at the
offending station's location. Just beware that the callsign is not necessarily
the callsign of the offending station.

I'm quite happy to act as co-ordinator for reception reports for the offending
carrier. If you do reply, I need to know three things:

(a) YOUR location.
(b) a rough description of YOUR setup: (1/4 wave at ground level, or collinear
at 140feet AGL ??)
(c) signal strength, and/or bearing of the voice announcements. (Please
specify True or Magnetic).

This may be a difficult problem to track down, as the offending voice
announcements are intermittent, their rate is sometimes every 10 seconds, and
occasionally is not heard for 2-3 minutes.

Thanks for your help

Iain McFadyen  KI4HLV