Field Day 2006

Alex Fraser beatnic at comcast.net
Tue Jun 27 19:15:27 CDT 2006

    I went Mobile again this year, signing N3DER 1C VA.  Took me a
little more than an hour to mount the screwdriver antenna and Icom 706
on the pick up.  I had to remove the 1 inch steel rod the antenna mounts
on and shine the rust off in my lathe. The coax feed was OK and so were
the antenna power hookups.
Worked 11 stations all on HF.  Did exchanges on 75, 40, 20 and 15
meters, took about an hour.  I got good reports. I didn't set up my 6
meter whip. I have a switch in the cab of the truck going to a separate
mount, left for the screwdriver, right side for  3/8" 24 mount (any
whip).  I did try 2 meter and 70 centimeter SSB. I only have a dual band
whip so my antenna is not so good, but usually I work a couple of
stations. Not this year, only heard one station on 2 and he couldn't
hear me, I even tried my favorite place on a hill overlooking the
Potomac here in Woodbridge, no luck.

    I am curious why if you have a van you don't work mobile?  The only
real advantage to putting all your radio assets in a muddy field (as far
as emergency ops go) would be that people in need could come there for
some food and to use your toilets.  I imagine that being out in the
sticks could have other advantages.  The local authorities could write a
message on some paper and send it by motorcycle courier to the site
where you could make contact with a random station and pass it on. No
addressing, no routing, no network and isn't netcentric hot? We seem to
be stuck on the first hardware level, levels 2  through 7 are handled by
mail when you submit your score to HQ and the results get published in
QST completing the loop.  That's a ping time measured in months.

    I drag this website out for every field day. I wrote it when I had
some hope that Ham Radio could actually move into this century.
http://www.qsl.net/n3der/new/fd.html

    It's a rainy day, has anyone noticed?

--

No electrons were harmed in the creation of this message