SDR talk at the MDC convention

Kevin P. Inscoe kevin at inscoe.org
Sat Jul 8 18:38:38 CDT 2006

More info at http://www.w3cwc.org/MDC2006.htm

I will actually be in the area that week but not planning to attend.

> Subject:   Amateur Radio Convention QRN Lite Extra
> From:   "W Page Pyne" <wa3eop at verizon.net>
> Date:   Sat, July 8, 2006 11:01
>
> Hi Guys and Dolls-  Below is a copy of the press release that Bob
> Long furnished Verna Brown of Emergency Management to enlighten
> first responders about ARA's convention event.
>
> While all that is well and good I wanted to make a few comments
> directed directly to our QRN Lite Readers.
>
> Don't take this convention lightly. This is a major event for the
> Antietam Radio Association and for amateur radio in the Maryland
> Area. There is a chance that an event of this historic magnitude
> for amateur radio will be a first and only for the Hagerstown area.
> Those of you who will miss coming from your local club when you
> could have been there are really shortchanging yourself.
>
> This is a three phase event with the on-site convention, the grave-
> site service and the display of two excellent communication centers
> outside the church.
>
> Your modest $5 admission charge is for the inside on-site convention
> only. The other events are free and open to the public.
>
> Regarding the on-site convention:
>
> We are honored and so lucky to have a fine mixture of forum present-
> ers for this one shot in Hagerstown happening.
>
> We have local talent with great forums.  Stu Benner for example gave
> a preview of his presentation at the Hagerstown Hamfest. It was
> excellent. Those who missed it will get a second chance. Stu's forum
> is the only one of the 15 to be presented that has been done as a
> topic in the Hagerstown area before. Because of its excellence is
> why your convention committee is pleased to bring it again at 1 PM
> on July 29.
>
> Local talent will bring you several other forums we think will
> interest you greatly.  Keep in mind, the main reason ARA decided to
> host this convention was to bring a great experience to you our
> members. The host of others expected to attend are our invited
> guests.
>
> At 9 AM the convention starts with a bang. I'm personally looking
> forward to Eldon Geiman's presentation on Shortwave Radios from
> the Golden Commercial Era. Maybe its because I got started before
> that era ended. But local talent will be involved in another 9 AM
> forum as well.
>
> The Forum on the YL System I'm told will be presented by Bill Drager
> and Richard MacWilliams, K3CDQ. Bill you all know. Like me he has
> been around a long time. Dick is an expert on the YL System and Bill
> is an active member there. It should be noted that this forum makes
> history itself as it's the first time any convention anywhere has
> had a presentation on this topic.
>
> The other 9 AM forum on MARS has nothing to do with the Space
> Program but describes the Military Affiliate Radio System and is
> expected to detail ARMY MARS more than the others. ARA has some
> members that participate in MARS. K3FCC and W3NHR are two I recall
> [...]

- ---
Kevin P. Inscoe                       Amateur Radio Call Sign: KE3VIN
Deltona, FL 32738                                28.9497N by 81.1952W
kevin [at] inscoe [dot] org                    http://kevininscoe.com
GPG 0x61288D53
"You can tune a file system, but you can't tunafish". - tunefs(8)