Mind control of computer

Andre Kesteloot andre.kesteloot at verizon.net
Tue Jul 18 08:16:48 CDT 2006

 From the current AFIO Bulletin

BRAIN SENSOR ENABLES THOUGHTS TO CONTROL COMPUTER
<mailbox:///C%7C/DOCUMENTS%20AND%20SETTINGS/HP_ADMINISTRATOR/APPLICATION%20DATA/Mozilla/Profiles/default/zv3f3tj9.slt/Mail/incoming.verizon.net/Inbox?number=2123717638#TOC_MindControl>
A man who is paralyzed in all four limbs was able to move a computer
cursor, open e-mail and control a robotic arm just by thinking about it.
The man has been implanted with the Brain Gate, a tiny silicon chip with
100 electrodes inserted into the area of the brain responsible for
movement, which transmits brain activity via electronic signals that a
computer can translate into motion. Brain Gate was developed by
Cyberkinetics Neurotechnology Systems Inc in Massachusetts. The man is
the first of four patients who will be testing the device. "This is the
dawn of major neurotechnology where the ability to take signals out of
the brain has taken a big step forward. We have the ability to put
signals into the brain but getting signals out is a real challenge. I
think this represents a landmark event," said Professor John Donoghue of
Brown University in Rhode Island and the chief scientific officer of
Cyberkinetics. Stephen Ryu, a researcher at Stanford University Schools
of Medicine and Engineering has developed a faster method for processing
brain signals to prosthetic devices and says, "Our research is starting
to show that, from a performance perspective, this type of prosthetic
system is clinically viable." [Reuters
<http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=scienceNews&storyID=2006-07-12T173910Z_01_L12711624_RTRUKOC_0_US-SCIENCE-BRAIN.xml>
12Jul06/Reaney]