[PropNET-Online] Re: Experimenter hf net organizing

David A Aitcheson - KB3EFS kb3efs at gisco.net
Thu Aug 24 14:21:35 CDT 2006

John,

You bring up some very interesting points that have my curiosity.

John Barrett wrote:
> I've been looking into what it would take to do a DIRT cheap single band
> SSB tranciever kit based on SDR techniques -- reciever would be simple
> enough -- analog devices frequency synthesizer or some other clock
> source at 4X the recieve freq, x/4 counter/decoder and quadrature mux,
> bandpass input preselect filter, and an 8 stage phase difference filter
> (resistor/capcitor array) to demod the SSB from the quadrature output of
> the multiplexer...

OK

> I've read that the reverse will do for transmit also feed audio to the
> phase filter in reverese and feed the filter outputs to the mux in
> reverse -- makes for a great deal of shared use in the circuits -- just
> need some switching to get the audio in and the mux output to the PA

Interesting, I (re?)learned something today.

> I havent got it all in schematic form yet -- pretty much all discreet
> components except the synthesizer (surface mount) unless you decide to
> use some other easily adjustable clock source. (maybe add a simple
> frequency counter and display if the clock source isnt digitally
 > controlled)

Could this be done with "modules" like a plug in option for the
http://hpsdr.org/ project that Kevin Inscoe has mentioned on tacos in the
past?

If others have a platform that we could create a plug-n-play module for
would that make for easier developement and lower the costs?

> I would MUCH prefer something less than $300 a pop -- for the cost of 2
> of those RX-320s, I can get an FT100 or FT857 .. all bands, all modes,
> xmit and recieve... just cant see investing that much in a reciever for
> propogation studies when there are plenty of much cheaper home brew
> designs out there that can do the job with cheaper components.

I am liking this; and it sounds like the "The First Domestic Bank of
XYL-ville" would as well! (GRIN)

> As far as a licensed person on staff -- if the school doesnt have one,
> find a local ham interested in the project and have them setup the
> station and run it under their call sign.

Not so easy in these post 9/11 days.  If the "State" hasn't most School
Districts have instituted policies that prohibit (at times draconian-ly)
any "non-staff" participation in schools.  In some places parents can
not even step foot on school grounds I am told.  The days of helping out
and community involvement in education are over I am afraid.  Even with
passing a background check one is not guaranteed access to a local
educational facility.

73
Dave Aitcheson - KB3EFS