AMRAD Linux CD

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 1 17:25:05 CDT 2006

Maitland and Tacoistas,

I think AMRAD brings an important perspective to what a Linux
Distribution might include.  You have the experience and expertise to
put a lot of pieces together.

Many hams have indicated to me that they tried Linux of one sort or
another and have not taken to using it as their main operating system.

I have been thinking in terms of using a dumpster grade computer in the
ham shack where a computer is dedicated to ham radio activities without
infringing on the family computer use.  I suspect we could make all our
software run on a P3-600 or above.  Maybe even a P200,  as Linux is not
the processor hog that Windows has become.

This computer could include email and something like OpenOffice for day
to day activities in the ham shack but it would include a simple robust
version of Linux that would not require a lot of expertise to use.  It
might be useful to have it run live but then I think an installation
would permit more involved use with all those parameters that each ham
will want to set just once.  Ubunto did a nice job of providing both.

The disk would include a lot of software, information and material on
all the stuff we are seeing on SDR, SoftRock, PSK-31 etc that run under
Linux.  As new releases or programs come out it should make it easy to
download and install.  Maybe AMRAD should take these releases and
repackage them with some installation package to simplify installation
and getting them running.  I can recall spending a lot of time trying to
figure out the command line needed  to decompress and update a program
once it is downloaded.

I have a lot of info on SDR and SoftRock I have downloaded from sites
like Yahoo groups or I have scanned in.  We could add some of this to
make the CD a source of good info in the ham shack.

It looks like a high quality sound card will work much better for these
SDRs so we can provide info we have learned on improving performance at
the sound card level.  High quality sound cards are not necessarily the
expensive ones so our knowledge could be really useful.  Perhaps some
test and diagnostic software to evaluate one's own sound card could be
included.

And then we are talking about trying some new HF signals so this would
be perfect framework in which to distribute this work to the members so
everyone is running a common package.  We can send everyone scurrying
into dumpsters and out to yard sales looking for suitable computers to
try out our latest work.

Does the AMRAD web site have the facilities and bandwidth to support
distribution of the CD image(s) or do we need to look for something
different?

AMRAD LINUX CD...Should be Not Just Another Linux Distribution.

Just some thoughts.  Now back to your regular programming.

Oh yes,  what does the AFU stand for in AFU-Knoppix.  Somehow my mind is
stuck on only one set of words.

Frank K0BRA