Soft Rock exciter update

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Sun Oct 1 22:08:06 CDT 2006

I agree that AMRAD could play an important role here.  In fact, I was trying
to figure out how to do this testing myself, but it would be much better if
the club can do it.  I am getting spread a little thin.

George and I disagreed about the digitization resolution and sampling
frequency at tacos last week.  I don't agree that only 16 or 17 bits are
usable.   That may have been true a few years ago, but technology has
improved since then.  I think the noise floor is better than that now,
especially with outboard cards.  If I remember, 16 bits is only a 96db noise
floor (and 6db per bit after that), something that many sound cards can
exceed today.  I have seen some estimates that 20 bits are viable today.
Proposed testing would be one way to resolve the situation.  We also
discussed the need for higher sampling rates, which turns out to be good for
us hams, if it also provides a fairly flat response.  I think higher samplig
rates are more beneficial and achievable than George did (correct me if I am
mis-stating your positions George).

Another thing to remember is not just check the A/D and input side. As SDRs
are moving into the transmit arena, we need to verify the D/A and output
side as well.  I am reminded of this just today, as I get the Soft Rock
exciter prototype on the air.

BTW, here is a web site of someone who has done some testing already.  I
think we need to verify the methodology, then take on a bunch of cards.
http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/sdr/soundcards.php

If we can create a lab that can truly test the various sound card
parameters, and provide that to the amateurs, that would be a great service.
About twice a week there are questions just on the Soft Rock Yahoo site,
asking about good sound cards.  we need to look at internal cards, external
cards, and PCMCIA or USB or firewire cards for laptops.

Count me in on helping with this.
Terry