more BPL

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 6 22:47:26 CDT 2006

André,

Hopefully, if this comes to pass, the undersecretary will choose some
knowledgeable folks to put on the Rural Broadband Advisory Panel that
will see the folly of using BPL for transmitting broadband over rural
type distances.  Certainly, the folks at the Electric Power Research
Institute we have talked to would point this out.

WiFi and other such technologies should do the trick for far less cost
per mile covered.  BPL can only make a cost effective system when
installed in a highly dense urban setting with a majority of Internet
users subscribing for the service.

Better yet, the whole Undersecretary of
whatever-foolishness-is-politically-expedient-at-the-moment will only be
a momentary case of gastro-indigestion.

Frank