CHU time station

hal feinstein hfeinstein at cox.net
Sat Dec 2 13:45:33 CST 2006

Back in the early 1970's, when I was a student attending a college in
upper tier of New York State,
I had the fortunate experience to have part time employment as a data
analyst for the college geology department.  This mostly entailed
cleaning up field data collected by students and
faculty research, developing complicated numerical models (try) to
explain  geophysical  phenomena.  I also was tasked with servicing
the seismograph recorders that collected
data on the unexpectedly active seismic activity in that part of the
country.  These seismic recorders were pretty low tech affairs.  The
actual seismic sensing instruments were located on a bedrock platform
out in the woods about 20 miles away and linked via audio telemetry,
one through phone line and the other via an FM radio link.  If you
listened to the link it sounded like a wobbly audio tone with a
center frequency of about 1000Hz.  The data modulation was simple
amplitude proportional to the frequency shift.  Each day I changed
the recorder paper.  As I said, this was low tech.  The paper was
heat sensitive and the "pen" was a hot element driven by the
telemetry signal.  The heat sensitive paper was rolled on a drum that
rotated slowly around.  After installing a fresh sheet onto the drum
I tuned in CHU.  In this part of the country CHU is clear and
strong.  The recorder had an input that caused the recording pens to
shift the recording baseline up an inch when it detected either CHU
on the minute tone or the second time tick for the duration of the
tone or tick. Once I got the drum stated again I listened for the CHU
announcer and wrote the time next to the time tick.  This is an
important step as I will explain next.

My next task was to scan the seismography record looking for events
that were unusual or ones we expected and were using for research
projects.  I can recalling the local stir when we recorded the
seismic signature of a Chinese nuclear blast, but, identifying and
recording data for our research projects is what kept me employed.
The main project involved earthquake prediction by studying changes
in so called travel time curves.  These curves represented the time
it took seismic activity to travel from known source points to our
recording instruments. Changes in the travel time of seismic energy
represented changes in the force compressing the rock through which
the seismic activity travelled.  A build up in compression over say a
year with a sudden decompression meant the subsurface forces
compressing the rock had shifted and an earthquake was in the offing.
The more rapid the decompression the greater the predicted magnitude
of the quake.

Our seismic sources were the blasts detonated by mining companies
within about 400 miles of our sensor. They also used CHU to
accurately trigger their blast and reported to us the time, depth and
amount of explosives used.  In turn, I located seismic signature of
these blasts on the seismograph.  The CHU time ticks were my clock on
the seismic recording that allowed me to figure the arrival time of
various types of seismic waves for each of the mine blasts.
Although  it might seem otherwise, the earth is a pretty complicated
seismic conductor.  Some waves came right to the instrument while
others bounced off layers deep within the earth to arrive at
slightly  later times, something like rf multipath refraction from
the ionosphere.   Measuring the arrival time and detonation time gave
travel time that I plotted for the research.  About 30 mines were
reporting in per week so I had lots of data to work on.  Its an old
story that your research can never be better than the quality of your
data.  Without the strong and reliable signal from CHU I'm not sure
how we would have known the accurate time.  Other methods existed at
that time, for example using phone lines to get accurate time but the
expense would mean other researchers would have to do without things
they needed. None of this was run on big budgets so CHU was an
enabler that ought to keep enabling.  It will be a sad day to tune to
its 7mhz frequency and hear instead some broadcaster crocking on
about the glories of this cause or that.

--hf.