CHU time station

Karl W4KRL W4KRL at arrl.net
Mon Dec 4 09:28:26 CST 2006

My CHU story comes from dim childhood memory. My father was an observer for
Project Moonwatch as part of the International Geophysical Year in 1957. As
I recall there was a row of observers with low power telescopes each looking
at an overlapping segment of the sky. The peculiar thing about these scopes
was they looked down to a small mirror that reflected the sky. I guess it
was to make it easier to sit for hours looking for satellites. There was a
radio tuned to CHU and a tape recorder. As each observer saw a satellite he
called out and his mark along with the CHU time signal was recorded.

Karl W4KRL

http://www.seikei.ac.jp/obs/astro/Moonw.htm

http://www.qrparci.org/content/view/2186/119/lang,en/