How often does front end overload make the news?

Kevin P. Inscoe kevin at inscoe.org
Mon Dec 4 10:12:59 CST 2006

On Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 09:12:40AM -0500, Karl W4KRL wrote:
> DENVER - What do remote-control garage door openers have to do with national
> security? A secretive Air Force facility in Colorado Springs tested a radio
> frequency this past week that it would use to communicate with first
> responders in the event of a homeland security threat. But the frequency
> also controls an estimated 50 million garage door openers, and hundreds of
> residents in the area found that theirs had suddenly stopped working.
>
> "It would have been nice not to have to get out of the car and open the door
> manually," said Dewey Rinehard, pointing out that the outage happened during
> the first cold snap of the year, with lows in the teens.
>
> Capt. Tracy Giles of the 21st Space Wing said Air Force officials were
> trying to figure out how to resolve the problem of their signal overpowering
> garage door remotes.

I thought this was old news. Yes I saw it but it's not the first time.. or
even the second...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/06/tech/main659343.shtml

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10295651/

... or third...

http://digg.com/security/Military_Radio_Signal_Jams_Garage_Doors

what is *new* this time is ... the DoD is basically taking the position of "Tough we own the
frequencies - live with it!"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6663032

and we wondr why BPL isn't going any where...

--
Kevin P. Inscoe                       Amateur Radio Call Sign: KE3VIN
Deltona, FL 32738                                28.9497N by 81.1952W