Using Macintosh computers for ham radio applications

Richard Rucker rrucker at mac.com
Sun Dec 10 06:24:40 CST 2006

On Dec 10, 2006, at 3:40 AM, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

> Yeah, just think of the 10s of thousands of applications that the Mac
> can't run (I believe there is a database at symantec.com)...

 >  I believe there is a database at symantec.com

Hehe!

Any app that you do want to run, regardless of whether it was written
for Windows, Linux, Unix, or the Mac OS, should run natively on any
of the new Macs with "Intel inside."  Of course, to run something
written for Windows, you do have to purchase a copy of Windows XP and
then run it natively using BootCamp or inside Parallels.  BootCamp
comes with the machine; Parallels is a separate purchase.

Since Mac OS X is built on BSD Unix, you need add nothing else to an
off-the-shelf machine.

>> Had a Mac, got frustrated looking for the second mouse button,
>>

> Here in the future, two button USB mice work as expected, just plug
> them in.  Or buy a Mighty Mouse from Apple and turn on the second
> button in the control panel.  And while you're at it, note the
> superior scroll wheel with two degrees of freedom...

The Mac OS has supported multi-button input devices for years.  I
enjoy using a 4-button Kensington track ball with a scroll wheel
encircling the track ball.

Ever since 1986, the Mac has had the capability to drive additional
monitors in order to gain additional display screen real estate.  In
1986, I was using a 19" monochrome monitor with my Mac Plus with an
accelerator board inside. My main working surface was the 19" display
while the 4" by 7" CRT built into the Mac was where I put control
panels or other auxiliary windows.

These days, I use two LCD monitors in a similar fashion.

Dick Rucker, KM4ML
http://homepage.mac.com/rrucker/chapter91/