Fw: [Flexradio] [Fwd: New SDR - no QSD/ISD/soundcard - soon to beavailable]

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 1 01:49:14 CST 2007

Terry,

This looks interesting.  Phil Covington is doing some really good work
and I must agree: Do I have enough CPU to handle the QS-I?

I found the note on Phil's web page about Linux kernel interesting but I
don't know enough yet on this aspect.  This might break the logjam
between the use of a dedicated DSP and a general purpose computer and
operating system.  With the right strategy, we might get enough
throughput to use a PC and Linux.  I am convinced that Windows is a
non-starter.  Now we need to examine USB to see how much it can handle
and when it becomes the long pole in the process.

If I understand it right, the Pentium CPU with MMX can handle a lot of
very serious matrix operations very fast. Intel has hidden its power
from mere un-anointed mortals.  We need to learn how to harness this
co-processor power for SDR DSP use. I think there are some FFT routines
they put out there without describing the power they have.   Right now,
it is buried under too many layers of compilers and operating system
gorp to access clearly.  We need some help from the software people to
help us figure out how to get there.

In the end, we might be only a very few steps away from a big step
forward.  We need someone with the vision to strip off the crap.

Frank