Fwd: New Information about your cell phone...

Terry Fox wb4jfi at knology.net
Sat Mar 3 22:57:32 CST 2007

My guess is that item 3 does nothing more than temporarily adjust the
low-voltage limit in a processor in the phone.  Doable.

I'm not sure how item 2 is supposed to work.  A cell phone is supposed to
magically convert a 315MHz, 413MHz, or other digital OOK'd RF signal from a
hand-held car remote, to some kind of signal that it then sends through the
phone network, to another cell phone which then retransmits the proper data
pattern at 315MHz, 413MHz, or whatever frequency the car is listening for?

Stranger things have happened, I guess.

Obviously, since the editors note says they tried it and it works, then it
MUST be true.  Of course, both the person with the car remote and cell phone
and the person at the car with the cell phone were standing right next to
each other, but who's to quibble about that.  I'll bet it would have worked
even if the phones were off.  Come to think of it, it probably would have
worked with two-meter HTs as well.  Except for French vehicles, as they use
non-standard car remotes.

Let's try it.  I am standing by my car in the garage with my cell phone.
Paul, I will mail my car remote to you to push the unlock button.  But, let
me know when you are ready.  Ok.  Testing, 1....2....3   push!  Well, what
do you know it works!  My car is unlocked.  Of course, I forgot to lock it
first, but it would have unlocked.  Never mind that it is a 1968 Corvette,
without electronic locks.  Oops, I sold that car....  nevermind.  It's late.
Terry