An interesting plasma speaker using a Tesla coil

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 26 13:00:43 CDT 2007

Bob,

A number of years ago I had a Johnson Viking Desk Kilowatt on the air.
I made up a 3.7 MHz Tesla coil.  It was just a 3 inch piece of plastic
pipe with a couple dozen turns and very sensitive to the number of turns
etc. for the resonant frequency.

The rig loaded it up and a nice 3 inch corona was formed off of the top
screw.  With modulation, the corona made a very nice speaker that was
very crisp but lacking in bass.

makes a nice physics demonstration.

Frank K0BRA