FPGAs and other misc

Frank Gentges metavox at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 6 16:28:27 CDT 2007

Bob,

You spoke of some of the really cool work you did earlier on DSP
demodulation one day at tacos.  You should get back in there with that work.

Things do seem to be opening up for use of FPGAs on lesser "taco grade"
projects.  The Xilnx people have a free development package at

http://www.xilinx.com/ise/logic_design_prod/webpack.htm

but they require you to register. I have not done that and have not seen
what it really looks like.  One option is to download and the other is
to request multiple DVDs.

Perhaps one of us should request the DVDs and see just how useful this
stuff really is.  It suggests we might have to pay for shipping and I
would be glad to chip in.  We should avoid having a bunch of us piling
in with requests right now.

A couple of Xilinx development systems were sold on eBay the other day
for around $75 and $130 but I am not sure if they would be useful for
what we are looking at.

I also found the National Semiconductor "Analog By Design" web page that
has a group of seminars on it.  Two are about high speed data transfer
and seem very relevant to SDR designs.  Bob Pease, a famous analog
design guru, hosts these seminars.  I have enjoyed them and learned some
finer points of design.

See http://www.national.com/nationaltv/

These seminars also suggest how we might digitize some of our monthly
meeting presentations and put them on the web for our remotely located
members.  I am not sure many of our presenters would agree if we made
the files open to the general public so we may want to restrict access
to members only.  Thoughts?

Frank K0BRA