A radio can NEVER work without a ground?

hal feinstein hfeinstein at cox.net
Sat Aug 4 10:30:25 CDT 2007

No, Tom, your right on track.
Obviously the proposition  is false by the two counter-examples I
provided.   Early radio inventors thought the "ground return"
was a required element of all single wire communications systems, as
in any single wire electrical circuit, of which  they thought radio
is an example.
(The single wire telegraph being another.)
Experiments by Hertz demonstrate transmission at a distance w/o a
required ground so, in theory, a ground return path might not be needed.
Today we know, as you rightly point out, that the ground plays no
role in ideal radio transmission.   But the ground is still with us.
What should we think when told
to ground our receiver for "better" reception, and to ground our
transmitter to get rid of unwanted harmonics and improve range?
What  magic is performed by this handy conductor at our feet?
Would the same mechanisms be in play between a transmitter and
receiver in deep space?