Doherty Amplifier

Bob Bruhns bbruhns at erols.com
Thu Aug 9 09:34:17 CDT 2007

Andre,

With the Taylor system, maybe I should have said 'lost art', but I was really thinking 'lost ark'.  Or holy grail!  One of the old timers had published something long ago about his supermodulated Taylor system, and nobody knew the details.

Without the extra transformer in the audio chain, audio can be better, although a well designed transformer system sounds fine.  (There are badly designed ones that sound terrible, even though they meet FCC distortion specs!)  A big heavy modulation transformer is difficult and expensive to replace when it fails, too.  So if efficiency is about the same, or better, then the high-tech tricks become attractive.  Nowadays AM broadcasters save so much money on AC power with the new switch-mode transmitters that the transmitters are paying for themselves.

Short wave systems have to move around according to the MUF, the LUF, the target coverage area and international agreements, and the high-tech analog designs are definitely harder to switch and adjust.  Some of the modern switch-mode designs overcome that, so I'm sure that they are used.  Short Wave broadcasting used to be big government operations, but now there are many little religious groups using old analog gear, some of it modified from medium-wave broadcast service.  I think Armstrong in Syracuse, NY does a lot of shortwave modification work, and I heard about a Doherty unit that was set up for muli-channel shortwave operation.

There is a difference between Ampliphase and Doherty.  Doherty is a class-B arrangement, similar to the Taylor system, that gets extra power out of the carrier tube during positive modulation by making a 1/4 wave line put a heavier load on it when the peak tube adds positive peak power.  Ampliphase essentially took two phase-modulated transmitters with opposite modulation polarity, and combined them into a steady-phase, amplitude modulated signal.  Ampliphase must have irritated Major Armstrong, because the phase modulation was produced using the Armstrong method, but the output was AM, so his patents must not have applied.

There is also a Terman-Woodyard high-efficiency grid modulated design, similar to Doherty, but the modulation is done by applying audio to grid bias.  Doherty was meant to be a linear RF amplifier.  The Taylor design was actually based on grid modulation, but using it for linear amplification seems little different.  I only heard about Doherty and Ampliphase in commercial operation.

The timing of the Amrad meeting on this subject unfortunately comes at the same instant as a super-crunch at work.  It always seems to happen this way.  I'll make it if I can.

   Bob, WA3WDR