the woodpecker's roost

Gerald Wolczanski jerrywolczanski at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 27 17:11:20 CDT 2007

In the early 1970's, I used to be able to chase the Woodpecker out of
the 80 Meter CW band with my homebrew 15-watter, random wire, and a
vibroplex (modified Navy TCS receiver was my receiver).  I would set
the dot rate to equal the pulses, zero-beat the signal, and send a
string of dots.  The signal would stop, move a bit, and restart.  I'd
repeat the process, moving it out of the CW band.  Typically this was
late afternoon in the winter.  In the later years, I was told this
technique became ineffective - I don't know as I moved overseas for
almost 10 years.
Jerry