Potential AMRAD member fails clip lead test

Joe Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Thu Sep 6 09:46:48 CDT 2007

Miswiring of the dryer mains is a common mishap here in the States,
leading to the early demise of several people each year.  Our 220 / 240
volt mains, used for only major appliances, is comprised of 4 wires
total.  There are two hots. a neutral, and a safety ground.  There is
110 / 120 volts available from each hot lead to neutral, and 220 / 240
volts across both hots.  This can cause the case of the machine to be
"hot" if miswired, by either omitting the neutral, safety ground, or
reversing a hot / neutral lead. Though the heating elements, etc in
these appliances require 240 volts, courtesy lamps, and so on still
operate on 120 - hence the two hots with 120 available either side to
neutral.

The 220 / 240 mains in the UK operates like our 110 / 120 line.  Hot,
neutral. and ground.  The neutral and ground is common ONLY at the
breaker box.  The way our (USA) residential 240 circuit works allows for
two 120 branches to balance the load, whilst still allowing for 240 for
the range, AC, water heater, etc.

Misunderstanding of the wire colour code or not understanding that both
legs of our 220 circuit in the states is often the cause of Darwinism
mishaps.  Our USA colors are typically HOT = RED and BLACK, NEUTRAL =
WHITE, SAFETY GROUND = GREEN.   Newer 120 line cords, even here in the
States are generally adapting the European colors of Brown = Hot, Blue =
Neutral, and Greeen/Yellow = Ground.

You folks in the UK seem to have the safest circuits of all.  I like the
individual fused plugs, not to mention the on / off switch that exists
at most outlets.

73,
Joe, N6DGY
Pleasant Grove, Utah