My brother's new tower and SteppIR beam

Andre Kesteloot andre.kesteloot at verizon.net
Sun Oct 14 20:55:40 CDT 2007

Mike,

Such a remote set-up could be quite interesting indeed.
I have felt  --for a long time now--  that we ought to think of older
hams who, when they eventually move to retirement homes, no longer have
access to antennas etc.
A remote system, allowing only vetted persons (i.e., OK hams, not
fools), to operate from their new QTH, would be such a nice gift for
those old hams.
A small monthly access fee could cover running cost, electricity bills,
hardware repair etc (such as replacements for the 811's...)

Steve Floyd, WB4YHD, demonstrated a very simple set up, one afternoon at
the QCWA.
His HF rig was on stand-by at his QTH; he used his laptop here in Vienna
VA to lob on via some Wi-Fi link that happened to be available in teh
Vienna area, and very soon, speaking in the built-in mike and
loudspeakers of his laptop, he was making QSOs on HF.   Great demonstration

Of course, we would still have to solve the problems of
- VSWR when changing frequencies,
- orientation of the beam

73
André  N4ICK