Very High Frequency Techniques

Philip Miller Tate Philmt59 at aol.com
Wed Oct 17 04:19:49 CDT 2007

It is a sad side-effect of the burgeoning knowledge base that such
elegant design techniques have often become almost lost, replaced
(but not necessarily superseded) by "modern equivalent" technology
that may be easier to mass-produce, but necessarily do such a good
job - a similar situation is where (passive) high Q tuned circuits
have been commonly replaced by (active) filters and amplifiers to
reproduce the same performance.

Thank goodness for the combination of open-minded enthusiasts who
keep an eye on the past, plus that brilliant 14th-century passive
information storage-and-retrieval technology that is compatible with
the world's top operating system, the brain. It's called "the book".
Brilliant. I'm not ashamed to be an enthusiastic collector of these
historic IT devices myself.

Whenever I go to Hamvention (as Frank will attest), I hunt for old
transistor circuit books. Not old IC circuit books, note - unless
they're all 741 and 555 circuits, I can't build them. Older
transistor books are still useful, though - and neon bulb oscillators
have dozens of applications.

My tuppence worth.

Phil M1GWZ (ham radio - like mobile telephone, but more fun.)