Motorola buys Yaesu]

andre kesteloot andre.kesteloot at verizon.net
Sat Nov 10 14:11:38 CST 2007

 -----Original Message-----

Here's what Dave Foran, K7BV, wrote recently about this:

Friends,

By now, many of you may have heard that Vertex Standard Co., Ltd,
(Vertex
Standard USA's parent company) announced that they have agreed to form a
collaborative joint venture with Motorola, Inc. I personally believe
the most
important words in this sentence are "collaborative joint venture“ a
business
relationship that indicates a far different outcome intent than the
demise of
one of the venture partners.

Since Yaesu is the Amateur Radio Division of Vertex Standard, I am
sure you are
just as curious as me, a Yaesu employee with a job at stake, to know
what this
business transaction will mean to all of us in the hobby.
Predictably, I see
that the news about the pending new Motorola relationship with Vertex
Standard,
hence Yaesu, is giving life to all sorts of misinformation and
"doomsday".
Internet postings by the usual cast of characters who always seem to
know so
much more about things than the rest of us mere mortals.

After studying public announcements and considering the internal
information that
 is made available to me in my role as the leadership individual for
North American
sales at Yaesu, I would like to offer the following FACTS about this
development.

Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) will launch a tender offer to acquire a
controlling
interest in Vertex Standard Co., Ltd. (JASDAQ: 6821). Upon successful
completion
of the tender offer and subsequent restructuring process, Motorola
will own 80%
of Vertex Standard and Toko Giken, a privately held Japanese company,
controlled
by Jun Hasegawa, current president and CEO of Vertex Standard, will
retain 20%,
forming a joint venture.

On 5 November 2007, the Board of Directors of Vertex Standard
expressed their
support of the tender offer. Yaesu as one of the Vertex Standard
operations,
will be included in this exciting development.

I want our Yaesu customers and concerned others to know the following
about the
proposed merger:

Vertex Standard (meaning Yaesu to us in the Amateur Radio hobby) will
remain a
separate, global organization with distinct resources governed by the
Board of
Directors comprised of four Motorola representatives and one Toko Giken
representative. Toko Giken is a privately held Japanese company,
controlled by
the founder's family. It currently holds 29.2% shares of Vertex
Standard.

Mr. Jun Hasegawa (my boss), son of Sato Hasegawa JA1MP, the founder
of Yaesu
will continue to take part in the management of Vertex Standard in
his capacity
as the Representative Director, President and CEO of Vertex Standard
after the
Tender Offer.

The day-to-day management of the joint venture will be the
responsibility of Mr. Hasegawa and his senior leadership team, who
are also
expected to continue. Count me as one of those who will continue with
Yaesu.

Our business will continue to be operated as is, and we will continue to
actively develop new products and operate the business as a leading
manufacturer
of amateur radio, marine, land mobile, and airband radios.

The Vertex Standard brand of equipment (Standard brand in Japan) will
continue
to exist. The current Vertex Standard brand strategies are highly
respected by
Motorola and will be continued. Since Motorola appreciates our Yaesu
brand
strategy, there will be no change to it.

There will NOT be a Motorola brand of Amateur Radio equipment
replacing or
competing with Yaesu.

Yaesu customers can expect to see positive benefit from the fact that
Vertex Standard has an experienced engineering team that, combined with
Motorola's extensive engineering talent, will develop new innovative
products.
Personally, I cannot wait to see what this joint engineering effort
will bring
to Amateur Radio!

Cost synergies will be realized through the use of Motorola's buying
power to
reduce the joint venture's costs for raw materials. Hams are known to
enjoy
seeking out the best buy for their hard earned money - expect to see
Yaesu
products remain highly competitive and providing excellent value for
your
investment.

Because Mr. Hasegawa will continue to manage the day-to-day
operations of Vertex
Standard, we do not expect to see changes in the existing Yaesu
dealership,
pricing and rebate philosophies as a result of the joint venture.

These are historic exciting times for Yaesu, our customers, and
Amateur Radio.
The future is bright and the potential for incredible technological
advancements
for Amateur Radio are immense. We are glad you will be there with us
as the
positive affects of the Vertex Standard / Motorola joint venture
unfolds.

73,
Dennis Motschenbacher K7BV
k7bv at vxstdusa. com