Second Batch of 6m radios

Michael Chisena ka2zev at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 11:10:13 CST 2007

All,
  Had a back and forth with my vendor for a second lot of 10 Midland 70-0375C radios.

  They are going to make up the 'small parts' shortages I had with the first order.
  So if you were holding off on one, in about two or more weeks, there will be more available.

  Another choice...

  If anybody wants, I can find useful EBAY links for easy to convert radios and post them here.
  I don't have to buy the units.
  If the members as individuals want to buy them, I convert them for free.
  If I have to lay out, then I need that amount back plus part of the shipping fees (not trivial), and small stuff that goes into them.
  My goal is to break even, not make a buck.

  In other news.

  One EBAY vendor has VHF "A" split radios that work just great in the 140 to 150 range.
  So if you need a spare 2m set, this is the one to get.
  They usually sell for 30 bucks each.
  If memory is any good, they are 35 or 40 watt radios that when tuned up make about .25uV for 12db Sinad.
  Fairly hot for commercial gear.

  I will try and bring one to Taco's Saturday that I 'hot rodded' for APRS duty.

  I think it's slick.

  Built the APRS controller into the body of the radio, along with an ON/OFF relay that is run by the controller.
  When a transmit cycle is required, the controller turns on the radio, listens for a clear moment, keys the radio, sends it's traffic, then powers down the radio until the next cycle.
  I think it's neat, but I'm willing to bet your not so easily impressed.

  The hot rod part comes from the modifications.
  This is a dedicated use item.
  I programed one channel into the eprom so 144.39 comes up on channel '39' when the unit is turned on.
  So no chance of it being knocked off channel.

  Commercial radios have a lot of 'axillary' features.
  Some of that can be stripped out when dedicating a unit for just one function. Like a packet radio or link set.

  There are two major connections to this high band radio.
  One is a microphone jack.
  The other is a rear panel interface.
  It's a nine pin molex you can actually get at Radio Shack.
  Who would have thunk it.
  In it are 9 circuits.
  Power, Ground,
  Hang up (2),
  Speaker (2),
  Aux, and an empty.

  The Power and Ground stay just where they are.

  I removed the un necessary wires on the interface plug, and ran the 232/GPS I/O into that, so only one connection goes to the radio.
  The GPS plugs into the power connector, that plugs onto the radio.
  Seemed to be the best way to keep it simple for the mobile environment.

  Inside the radio Ive added two switches.
  One turns on the speaker, the other forces the radio to turn on if the controller has turned it off.
  Useful for tuning and testing.

  RS
  I also built a more flexible unit for RS to use.
  He has a little different requirements.
  Rob will be using an external TNC, so his microphone jack was modified to have an unused pin now connected to an audio output.
  That way there is just one connection to the radio.
  There is a switch hanging off the rear connector with a switch on it.
  That switch turns on or off the speaker.
  So in operation the radio is silent.
  I for one don't want to hear packets go by.

  Waiting to hear that on the air.

  Got one left.
  Anybody want it?
  Anybody want more of them?
  I can order them, or show you where to buy your own.

  So that's the news.
  Be well out there.
  Mike
  KA2ZEV
  703 863 4574 after 16:30 most days.

"You are, what you do, when it counts"
The Masso

"Gravity, the quickest way down"
Mayor John Almafi

"You ever drop an egg, and on the floor you see it break?

You go and get a mop so you can clean up your mistake.

But did you ever stop to ponder why we know it's true?

If you drop a broken egg you will not get an egg that's new?"

MC Hawking