FW: 6 meter APRS or meteorscater?

Michael O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Wed Dec 19 21:13:43 CST 2007

Robert Bruninga wrote:
> Would this be a great NEW mission for some of these 6m 100W
> radios?
>
> Meteorscatter email from devistated areas on 51.63 MHz.
>
> This is now trivial to set up with APRS.  All we do is have
> these radios scattered around the country and hooked to a TNC
> and the home PC runing any Igate software.  Done.  24/7
> Monitoring for Email.
>
> First responders in a blacked out area collect outgoing Emails
> from senders as needed and put them in a continuous TX queue
> using the normal 15 second
> cycle times.  Since Meteor scatter is a continuous statistical
> process, then as long as the outgoing message has been in the TX
> queue for X minutes, then there is a 99% probability that it was
> received and injected into the internet.  Sent, Done.
>
> We can experiment to find out what X is.  And there will be two
> values of X.  One for use with a 2 dBi gain vertical and another
> with say a small beam.  Of course using 9600 baud would GREATLY
> improve throughput but also GREATLY restrict the number of
> players.  In my mind, since this is a rarely used potential, it
> is better to have higher participation than optimum speed.
>
> Thus, lets just use 1200 baud.  And see how well it works.
> Anyone with 6m FM rigs want to try it out?
>
> Best target date for a test will be the upcoming quandritids on
> 4 January.  Of course, meteor scatter works every day 24/7 and
> the only reason for choosing a meteor shower is just to make it
> more fun.
>
> I remember we did APRS MS many years ago (1995) (APRSdos has a
> built-in Meteor Scatter mode) but none of the follow on clones
> implemented it so again, it is another APRS function lost to
> one-way vehicle tracking..  Here are the results back then:
>
> http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/meteors.html
>
> Bob, WB4APR

Interestingly enough, I work with Jimmy Treybig,
W6JKV  (www.w6jkv.com) who is "Mr. Six Meters".
he was also the founder of Tandem Computers.
he's in Austin and he might be interested in
this idea. he's done 6m DXpeditions every year
for well over 20 years now.

if it's OK, i'll forward your email to Jimmy.

	cheers,
	-mo