A good use for an old PC and two NICs

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Thu Dec 20 09:08:15 CST 2007

Michael O'Dell <mo at ccr.org> writes:

> Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
>> John Teller <jsteller at spottydog.us> writes:
>>
>>> http://www.ipcop.org/index.php
>> m0n0wall and pfSense (which i understand to be a derivative) are
>> possibly better choices.  m0n0wall is actively maintained, has been
>> around for years, and is used in some commercial hardware platforms.
>> http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/442660.html
>
> i believe Jim Thompson of Netgate (and Wayport and Vivato) is recommending
> pfSense these days to go with their hardware (shameless plug:
> www.netgate.com).

Not surprising considering that pf seems to be the best thing going in
free stateful firewall software these days.  I haven't used pfSense,
but looking at the web site and wikipedia pages maybe I oughta give it
a shot.  I see it has a sip proxy, which would be spiffy since these
7960s seem to not be so hot at NAT traversal.

                                        ---rob