6m meteor scatter project follow on

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Dec 21 09:35:56 CST 2007

Mike,
No, Im headed to Alabama this afternoon and am avoiding NoVA.
Ill go west through Baltimore to 81 and down.

I guess my overarching question would be whether there are
enough surplus 6m radios throughout the USA to make it possible
for hams to find them.  I know you are doing an outstantding job
at gathering these radios here... Bu I wonder about hamefests..

Or have the prime years when these hit the streets long past.

With all the rage being digital and 800 and now 700 MHz, it
would seem that there should be thousands of low band radios out
there if they are not already scrap.

And for this purpose, they can be old xtal controleld
clunkers...  In fact, most of the need is in RX only for the
APRS igates...

I don't think you sent me your phone number last time.  Send it
and Ill give you a call.   Maybe we will be leaving later this
evening and I could swing by for an eyeball?

Bob, WB4APR

100W
> 	radios?
>
> 	Meteorscatter email from devistated areas on 51.63 MHz.
>
> 	This is now trivial to set up with APRS. All we do is
have
> 	these radios scattered around the country and hooked to
a TNC
> 	and the h! ome PC runing any Igate software. Done. 24/7
> 	Monitoring for Email.
>
> 	First responders in a blacked out area collect outgoing
Emails
> 	from senders as needed and put them in a continuous TX
queue
> 	using the normal 15 second
> 	cycle times. Since Meteor scatter is a continuous
statistical
> 	process, then as long as the outgoing message has been
in the TX
> 	queue for X minutes, then there is a 99% probability
that it was
> 	received and injected into the internet. Sent, Done.
>
> 	We can experiment to find out what X is. And there will
be two
> 	values of X. One for use with a 2 dBi gain vertical and
another
> 	with say a small beam. Of course using 9600 baud would
GREATLY
> 	improve throughput but also GREATLY restrict the number
of
> 	players. In my mind, since this is a rarely used
potential, it
> 	is better to have higher participation than optimum
speed.

> 	Thus, lets just use 1200 baud. And see how well it
works.
> 	Anyone with 6m FM rigs want to try it out?
>
> 	Best target date for a test will be the upcoming
quandritids on
> 	4 January. Of course, meteor scatter works every day
24/7 and
> 	the only reason for choosing a meteor shower is just to
make it
> 	more fun.
>
> 	I remember we did APRS MS many years ago (1995) (APRSdos
has a
> 	built-in Meteor Scatter mode) but none of the follow on
clones
> 	implemented it so again, it is another APRS function
lost to
> 	one-way vehicle tracking.. Here are the results back
then:

> 	http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/meteors.html
>
> 	Bob, WB4APR

on 6
> 	meters?
> 	>
> 	> A sparkplug in our local ham club is putting together
a group
> 	> of many 100W 6 meter rigs and the only thing I can
think of
> 	> that would be interesting is to set one up on a 6
meter APRS
> 	> DX channel to see what gets through on 6 meter MS.
> 	>
> 	> Is there a beacon-net frequency already functional
there?
> 	>
> 	> ANy other great ideas for 6 meter applications other
than