Got in the first 10 Midland XTR memory expansion wafers. 6mgroopannouncment. Conversion article project.

Paul Rinaldo prinaldo at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 28 07:33:57 CST 2007

Gang,

Meteor scatter (burst) propagation depends on a number of factors that affect the duration of the burst over that specific path. Imagine for the sake of an example that the path is open only for 150 ms. That could mean that the entire exchange needs to be completed during that time. By exchange, I mean at least the transmission of a packet and the ACK.

The critical thing is minimizing turnaround time. Once a path is available, it typically can support very high speed data, even at video bandwidths albeit for an instant. For 6 m, Part 97 permits a speed of 19.6 kilobauds or 20 kHz bandwidth. An STA would be needed for higher speeds/bandwidths.

A good source of information is "Meteor Burst Communications," by Jacob Z.Schanker, W2STM. I have the book and a set of disks unfortunately of the 5.25-inch persuasion and I no longer have such a drive. I'll bring them to tacos on Saturday and we can arrange a format conversion.

Another source of information is the work by Joe Taylor, W1JT, such as at

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/0112036.pdf
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/techchar/18JT65.pdf

Paul