GE Master II's

Michael Chisena ka2zev at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 12:48:49 CST 2008

RB,
  A straight answer I don't have.

  I know very little about Master II's.

  On the other hand, there are lots of guys with years of experience on the subject out there.

  I'm going to forward this to the AMRAD,  5361 and NVFMA lists.

  What I remember from an old GE I had 20 years ago.

  Separate TX and RX xtals. Receiver injection frequency.

  The single xtal were UHF Micors.

  Anyhow, the critical question is.

  Are they all solid state, or a tube hybrid power supply?

  Can they be brought up to 52MHz in their stock form?

  If you can get your hands on an example or two, we will need the exact part number.

  Do they have all the accessories? Control heads, cables, speakers, and microphones?
  Are they suitable for packet conversion?

  Cost to convert?
  If xtals are 15 each, and we need at least two (assuming we select a 6m APRS channel that the country can live with) that's 30 per radio to start.

  Then if it takes a half pound of parts to put the radio on frequency plus two hours of labor per unit, then the number is going to be nuts.

  Frank and family are heading to Florida this weekend, and so am I.
  I sent the check for the 120 Midland radios plus the 20 or so CWB variants.
  There are stacks of these things scattered around the country, so more will show up.

  I got the single CWB last night. Quite frankly it's more complex than I imagined it will be.

  Give me a few days to photograph it and make some notes.

  More when I know more.
  Mike

Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
  Mike,

I just found out that our county is trying to get rid of all
their old GE Master-II's currently on 39 MHz.

Do you know anything about them? These are not so old that they
have tubes are they? I assume they are crystal controlled. But
for the MS project, a single ROCK is all we need.

So just curious
Bob
Wb4APR