Windows Vista

Terry Fox wb4jfi at knology.net
Tue Feb 5 15:20:50 CST 2008

There's probably a couple things still alive in the laptop.  First of all,
there is a real-time-clock in there somewhere, keeping track of the time of
day even when the main computer is off.  This should still run even woith
the main battery pulled, however,as they usually run off the BIOS/CMOS
battery.

Also, most laptops have pushbuttons for power switches.  There's probably
some very low-power CMOS power control logic running to monitor the power
pushbutton, and some other housekeeping chores.  If the laptop has power-up
on telephone ring, or power-up on LAN event (as with many desktops), then
there needs to be enough smarts running even during laptop "OFF" to properly
detect those events.

It is interesting that there is enough RF being generated by such low-power
devices, however.

Of course, it could also be tha the laptop is still actually running with
the power turned off.  Windows has gotten so bad in power-cycling (long
delays in powering up or down), that some laptops aren't really OFF.  They
are just in hibernate mode.  If they stay in hibernate long enough, I think
they do eventually flush the RAM and power-down.  This is Microsoft's
answer - don't fix the problem, just throw another patch/band-aid over it.

Just a couple of guesses.
Terry