End of Analog TV era

Robert Stratton bob at stratton.NET
Fri Mar 28 17:33:49 CDT 2008

On Mar 28, 2008, at 6:04 PM, Mike O'Dell wrote:

> i have a beer that says this "transition" will get undone
> after a few days of hellfire raining down on Congresscritters
> when the vidies go to snow for millions of AARP members.

It may not be that bad. I happened to hear former FCC Chairman Reed
Hundt speak back in 2005, and at that time, he mentioned that cable
and satellite penetration was something on the order of 86% of
households.

Of course his sad contention was that if the government took the
money they were going to put into set top boxes (for people who
mostly don't need them), it might be enough to subsidize some form
of  broadband internet access for almost the entire country, then you
could just deliver them programming via IP.

I think he may have had a point.

--Bob S.