Digital radio issues

Glenn Baumgartner gbaumgartner2 at cox.net
Tue Apr 1 20:34:42 CDT 2008

Agree with you fully Robert.  I have YET to see a trunked mobile or digital system that worked AS WELL as the old system. (analog). I was involved in an after installation relook of the Alexandria Public Service system that the Motorola mob sold to the city.  Not good at all.  Cost the city a BUNCH of extra money I was told, not contracted for money;  and flaky service for many many months before it was fixed.  I would bet it is not really fixed totally now and was just papered over.
    God help us all if and when aviation gives up the AM radios.  You know who funds, and likes these "new" whizzi radio systems.. Those who HEAR about comm problems but never or seldom  themselves experience them, and suckers that think the "new technology" will fix all ills.  Bureaucrats, administrators, management, etc.  And those "once may have done it ...but don't want to do it any mores" are the jerks that control budgets and are spending tax payer money.  Note that few real businesses..who spend their OWN ,money, are buying into the trunked digital systems...wonder why?   Think it is because they actually can see value and return on investment! and vendor smoke and mirror jobs...Ya think!.  End of rant.  Glenn b.