Maker Faire web-sites

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Fri May 9 12:07:27 CDT 2008

Alex,

I think the Greater Baltimore Hamboree and Computerfest may not be too
far from that now.  As most hamfests, they are seeing declining
attendance.  They are almost all vendors and very few displays and
demonstration now.  Our AMRAD display was well received and we got many
people to stop and just see what we were up to.  They have lots of room
for such an event and they have the infrastructure of club members to
organize the facilities etc. An insight to the 2008 event is at

http://www.gbhc.org/FAQ.htm

As you may be aware, the Gaithersburg fairgrounds has gone private, has
raised rates and effectively killed the best Washington area hamfest.
Baltimore is a much better choice.

Clearly, just tailgating is going down and probably won't grow that much
by itself.  What is needed is to draw in tech displays, demonstrations
and vendors. Some sort of regional robot competition should work here.

I think AMRAD has some people with the vision and foresight but
certainly needs the practical part of organizing the overall event.  The
Baltimore club has that.  If AMRAD were to put together a concept and
plan and get some heavy hitters to show interest I think we would get a
receptive audience by the Baltimore club.

Thoughts?

Frank K0BRA