IEEE: Certification Programs Aimed at Wireless and Software Engineers

Michael O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Wed May 28 16:01:35 CDT 2008

andre kesteloot wrote:
> *Certification Programs Aimed at Wireless and Software Engineers* BY
> MARILYN G. CATIS
>
> Two IEEE societies are helping wireless-communications and software
> engineers demonstrate their skill and proficiency in the workplace with
> two new certification programs and improvements to an existing one.
>
> All three programs are vendor-neutral and transnational in scope. Each
> one consists of a variety of self-study aids such as reference books,
> practice tests, and online courses to assist in exam preparation. Those
> who are interested in becoming IEEE-certified study at their own pace
> and then complete a two-part process to be able to sit for the exam,
> which is administered through Prometric, a global provider of test and
> assessment services.
>
> All candidates must complete an application form. The application
> process verifies that the applicant has met the criteria and qualifies
> to take the exam. Once approved, applicants receive a letter that
> contains a candidate identification number, which allows them to
> register via Prometric’s Web site and choose a location and date
> convenient for them to take the exam. Prometric’s 500-plus testing
> centers are located in more than 70 countries.
>
> Candidates sit at a computer terminal to take the exam and have up to
> four hours to complete it. The wireless exam poses 165 questions; the
> two software exams consist of 180 questions each.
>
> *GROWING DEMAND* Rapid growth in wireless communications has created a
> need for communications professionals. But what must they know? A
> standard baseline of knowledge—or a test to certify a communication
> expert’s practical knowledge—did not exist until March, when the IEEE
> Communications Society launched its Wireless Communication Engineering
> Technologies (WCET) certification program. It’s aimed at engineers who
> already hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and have
> about three years of experience.
>
> More than 100 industry experts from different wireless industry sectors
> helped develop the program and the exam that goes with it. Areas the
> exam covers include radio-frequency engineering, propagation, and
> antennas; access technologies; network and service architecture; network
> management and security; facilities infrastructure; licensing
> agreements; industry standards and policies; and government regulations.
> The Communications Society developed a handbook to help candidates
> understand eligibility requirements, as well as how to apply, study, and
> take the exam. Visit http://www.comsoc.org/bin/wcet/request1.html to
> request a free copy. Next month, a book and two practice exams will be
> available for sale to assist with preparation for the exam, the society
> says.
>
> “We anticipate that the WCET certification program will become the
> standard that organizations will use to develop curricula for wireless
> [...]

oh goodie. people can now be IEEE-certified as clueless.

when i hired kernel programmers, i gave them an actual coding
test. since an OS kernel uses linked lists with some frequency,
i put the C declarations for a doubly linked list on the board.
i then asked them to write a sorted insertion function.
i didn't care whether it sorted up or down, but they had
to tell me which they thought it did. they could assume any
necessary auxiliary functions but they had to have a comment
explaining what they did.

then i left the room for 45 minutes, but i poked my head in
every 10 minutes to see how red their face was getting.
i also encouraged the other kernel developers to poke their
head in every so often.

there were essentially two outcomes: the good guys walked
to the board and wrote the code about as fast as the hand
could write, and the others melted down some time after
about 15 minutes. i actually had one guy go running from
the building, summarily ending the interview.

just before leaving, however, i did admit to the candidate
that writing code on the board with his would-be peers
looking in occasionally  was considered by some to be
equivalent to having sex on stage. that usually produced
a pained look in the second group.

	-mo