Large Hadron Collider to begin operation

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 7 18:19:02 CDT 2008

tacosistas,

In the search for new physics, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN
will start up soon.  We may learn about the existence of Higgs Boson.

On the other hand we might find it was only a bad theory and a blizzard
of new theories will be put forward to explain the newly observed effects.

Many hope to observe the physics of the opening microseconds of the big
bang.  Once understood perhaps we can all build our own private
universes and play god to all the little people in our own little
universes.  This would be a weighty responsibility for a mere mortal
such as myself and I may choose to let God handle all that mess.

See http://info.web.cern.ch/Press/PressReleases/Releases2008/PR06.08E.html
for details.

Until Sept 30th, AMRAD member Brian Hawes, G????, is a member of the
British team at Oxford working on the project.  He will retire then and
be doing all sorts of fun ham radio things.   Brian has been coming to
Hamvention with the AMRAD crowd for several years and we are looking
forward to seeing him again.

Frank K0BRA