Comcast gets FCC Order

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 24 16:37:23 CDT 2008

Comcast has been throttling Internet connections for their cable
subscribers and there have been some complaints to the FCC.  It is a
complicated deal, the FCC has worked out all the issues and has come up
with a Report and Order.  See Page 34 to see where they granted the
complaint by "Free Press" against Comcast.

I suspect this is a big deal that will reduce the practice of throttling
people's Internet connections.  Will this let a Comcast subscriber use
all the bandwidth available from the subscriber to the Comcast Central
Office for however much broadband transfers are needed?

The FCC has not had a good track record on sorting out and resolving
technically difficult issues like this or BPL.

Time will tell as Comcast responds, appeals etc.

See http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-08-183A1.pdf

for all too much information on the issue.  I am sure the tacos readers
will chime in on this one.  Many of us have cable Internet connections.

Frank K0BRA