Chrome

Sean Sheedy sean at theSheedys.com
Mon Sep 8 16:47:48 CDT 2008

It is not surprising that the Java plug-in does not work or is not
available (NOAA weather radar loop).  Sun and Google definitely do not
get along.  Google ditched Sun's VM for their own for Android and are
not using the name Java, possibly to avoid licensing.

I am not crossing my fingers for a Java-compatible plug-in for Chrome
coming from Google any time soon since they are obviously looking to
the browser and their implementation of Javascript and Gears, not
Java, as the cross-platform application enabler.  Sun is probably
already working on a plug-in, though.

It is possible to go to the open source version of Chrome (Chromium)
and download the very latest build of Chromium and avoid the Google
EULA.  Link: http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots.  Some might
call this unstable but I've only hit one or two websites that did not
work properly, and they were non-essential, and if a build doesn't
work for you, just pick another - there are a half dozen to a dozen
builds a day.  I use a Mac and PC side by side and I have found myself
doing much more browsing on the PC now where Chromium is installed.
The performance just feels a bit snappier and the UI is certainly much
cleaner compared to Safari and Firefox.  The tear-off tabs come in
quite handy.

Already I am finding that Chromium lacks the increasing bloat I've
encountered with other browsers as they get used during the day.
Anecdotally, certain sites that rely on Javascript definitely do seem
to perform much better, but that could also be wishful thinking.

If I were writing an application that I wanted to run on multiple OSs,
I would definitely be thinking strongly about Chromium as the
environment in which it were to run, even though the Linux and OSX
versions are not working yet.  Chromium also could help standardize
the web on the technologies used to develop Web 2.0 applications.  I
am curious to see just how deep you can go into the host platform with
Chromium before having to write a plug-in.  I wonder just how much
performance one can get out of applications that require a lot of crank.

The biggest potential impact I see, however, is in the mobile space,
which is hugely fragmented in both the browser space and with multiple
execution environments available that are rarely compatible across
phones even from the same manufacturer.  With Chromium being open
sourced (BSD no less) and based on WebKit and with an increasing
number of phones employing a Linux core, we might finally be
approaching a time when it is much easier to develop an application
that runs on multiple handsets without a lifetime of managing special
exceptions and bug workarounds for a thousand devices.  Of course,
this also depends on how deep into the platform Chromium on a phone
would let you go, and that depends on whether or not the manufacturers
and operators, who make that decision, finally decide that they could
make more money by selling more devices than by hobbling access to key
features so that they can have their own little hooks into the
application revenue stream in the name of "security".   Not likely for
a few years, though Apple is helping set a new example with the iPhone
and app store (albeit with a different set of challenges for
developers.)  Maybe W3C with help from groups like OMTP and the JCP,
inspired by Google's work and with lessons learned from past
application environments, can come up with some standards to help this
along and make it universal.  Unfortunately the level of development
freedom we enjoy on the PC might never be widely available on mobile
devices, with the exceptions to this being niche devices such as
OpenMoko's Freerunner (more power to them!)

Sean Sheedy (AI4ID)