Hadron Collider

Philip Miller Tate Philmt59 at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 15:48:54 CDT 2008

One has to bear in mind that a mini black hole in Switzerland or
France would be the most interesting thing to appear in either
country in many years, and a great boost to the tourist economy. I'd
go and see it, but there's no need. A page on - sigh - the BBC News
website explains how a mini black hole will definitely not be formed,
illustrated by an artist's impression of what such a mini black hole
might look like. It's round, brightly coloured and a bit spikey, if
you're interested.

The daftest thing is the pressure groups trying to take out
injunctions to stop them turning the LHC on. The schedule is in the
public domain - and easily accessed on line - demonstrating that the
LHC had already been tested before the 'official' opening today.
Still, the collisions start in a few weeks' time, if all goes
according to plan, then the LHC shuts down for the winter. Tourists
are less likely to travel to Geneva to see a black hole when it's cold.

Some of the general public's comments - and those of the media - are
excrutiating, but we live in a Dark Age of Unreason. But don't think
of it as the US outsourcing science, think in terms of international
co-operation in science being a good thing.

Phil M1GWZ