electrons to go-fast - directly - no muss, no fuss, no men left on base

Michael O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Fri Sep 26 07:54:06 CDT 2008

John Teller wrote:
> Not much thrust either!
>
> --- JST
>
> Michael O'Dell wrote:
>> http://www.emdrive.com/

hey, it's one of those "deep space" things.

the part i find most interesting is that it
"can't provide acceleration"

given that any Delta-V requires acceleration,
i'm not unclear on what it can do.

one would think maintaining constant V against
a force trying to create a negative Delta-V
requires the equivalent of acceleration, just
as producing an equivalent positive Delta-V
in the absence of counterforce. ergo,
howzitdodat?

one of my colleagues at the day job is Arno Penzias,
a physicist of some note, so i'm gonna forward the pointer
to get his opinion. he's not shy about sharing them.
(We refer to him as our token Nobel Laureate.)

he does get through DC with some regularity - maybe i
can impose on him to do an AMRAD monthly meeting talk
if the schedules line up.

	-mo

ps - Arno's bio is at

http://www.nea.com/NEATeam/TeamMemberDisplay/index.cfm?IDP=12