OLPC

WB4JFI wb4jfi at knology.net
Tue Nov 18 10:25:05 CST 2008

I was in a Walmart in North Carolina last week, and noticed that they are
selling  an Acer Aspire One for under $400.  It uses an Intel Atom N270
processor (6.6GHz, 533MHz FSB, 512k L2 cache), Win XP, 8.9" 1024x600
display, 1GB DDR2 memory, Graphics acelerator (Intel 950), and 120GB hard
drive.  It also has the typical card reader, Webcam, wireless enet, wired
ethernet, 3 USB.  It weighs just over 2lb.  It's about 6.6x9.75 in size.

I haven't tried to type on it, or mess with it at all.  I'm also looking for
a very small subnotebook for ham use.  But, I want to run Ubuntu on it, and
possible a simple SDR application.  All these are a little slow for real SDR
work, I think.  But, for an accessory PC to run ham apps, they should be
good.

Terry