IEEE: The day analog TV dies...

Joe Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Fri Dec 5 15:19:14 CST 2008

Skywave propogation does not treat digital too kindly, as WOR in New
York found out a while back.  Despite this fact, the FCC seems rather
dense in the matter that the medium wave band is indeed influenced by
the ionosphere, and that a local station may be affected by another
thousands of miles away.  The bits and bytes are therefore confused, and
even the analogue backup (still broadcast) gets drowned out in a mess of
digital hash.  In the FCC's infinite wisdom, I believe that medium wave
broadcasters have been authorized to broadcast 24/7 now.

To make matters even more interesting, the USA is using Ibquity, whilst
Canada is using DRM (as are American shortwave broadcasts).  We go and
blow another chance to develop a world-wide standard for broadcasting,
and have to go our own way.  Can't even take a portable radio to Canada
now and expect it to work.

But this topic was about TV...  A local broadcaster threw the digital
switch the other night for 30 seconds.  As long as my TV remains
connected to the cable box, I'm OK.  We lived with NTSC for 60 years.
Now we have Digital ATSC ( always the same color?? ).  What happens when
Moore's Law takes affect and we have new and improved digital 18 months
down the road?  Does anyone honestly expect a TV today to now work
another 10 years from now?  The standard congress decided on is probably
already technologically obsolete.  Dammit, I want a bailout!

Joe, N6DGY