Interesting Junk

Frank Gentges fgentges at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 2 20:34:56 CST 2009

I went over to a friend's house for New Years day.  I was offered and I
accepted a VSAT terminal.  It was used for several years but then the
rates were raised and other broadband internet services were available
so the terminal was taken down.

It has a 4 foot dish and a RF unit that sits at the focus of the dish.
On a short Google search I find I have a 0.6 dB NF LNB for 11.7 to 12.2
Ghz and a 4 watt transmitter block converter for 14.0 to 14.5 GHz.

The thought occurs to me that if it were pointed up to the sky, not to a
satellited, and record the receive noise level a record would sweep out
the sky noise as the earth rotated.  At a 0.6 dB noise figure it should
show some of the celestial sources.  The transmitter would remain
disconnected and would only be kept in to keep the waveguide matched up.

Would this work out?

Was it worth the trouble to take this freebie stray dog home with me?

Frank K0BRA