TAPR High Performance Software Defined Radio

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Wed Jan 7 23:04:16 CST 2009

Thanks Frank for the response.  I agree with everything.

One of the big advantages (IMHO) of SDRs is that they can display the
spectrum of a whole band segment, while still having the selectivity to
pinpoint individual signals.  Pouncing during contests is just one
application of this.  Seeing general band conditions or activity is another,
and finding the signals at all when downconverting from UHF or microwave
bands is yet another.  In the old days, wider first IFs, with narrower audio
filters (or lower IF filters) would have been one way to accomplish the same
thing.  The concepts are not new, just the implementations!!

Designing these new SDRs becomes more of a trade-off than ever.  How many
A/D bits, what speed A/D, how many stages in the CIC and FIR filters, how
the DSP is done, and many other things, make up the overall receiver
performance.  Of course, what is considered an important parameter in
measuring that receiver performance is also paramount.

Regarding sample rate, I believe Phil Convington had such a choice when
designing the QS-1R.  He could have used a less expensive version of the
LTC2208, which sampled at 16-bits but at a slower sample rate.  I think he
said it was about $20 cheaper.  He decided against it, not only due to
wanting to cover 6M, but also the higher sampling rate allowed him to
achieve slightly more processing gain on HF.

For a 16-bit A/D, the only reason you will need a preamp is that the input
noise figure of most A/D converters is horrible.  Putting a preamp in front
of the A/D helps in that area, and if the preamp gets overloaded, switch in
an attenuator.  I think that is something that Phil has found, and the
reason for his upcoming addition of a preamp board for the QS-1R.

The approach that the local guy here has taken with using a much-cheaper
12-bit A/D, with a VGA in front of it, also seems interesting.  With the
addition of a switched BPF before the VGA, you only have to worry about real
strong signals on the same BPF band that you are listening to.  Then, as
long as you don't have a very strong (overdriving) signal in the same filter
band as a very weak signal of interest, things should be OK.  As you point
out about Europe, this is possibly OK in the US, but likely a problem in
Europe.  His goal is to have this board cost less than $100 (not including
the Digilent Nexsys II FPGA board).  This looks to be a very interesting
"entry level" design, compared to the HPSDR and QS-1R.  I hope he allows the
design to be propogated.  He has put up a web site:
http://sdrtrack.drupalcafe.com/ to show the design.  Included is a pix of
his board plugged into the Nexsys II, and some other info.  He has shared
this with some GNU people, so I don't think it's secret work.

BTW, he is actually working with the GNU Radio SDR software.  Yesterday, I
mistakenly said Linrad.

Well Frank, I've also gone on and on, but I think that is part of what this
is all about, an exchange of ideas, comments, and thoughts.  I think we
should do more of this, and look forward to more emails.

Also, if I'm wrong about any of this, others should feel free to chime in.
I'd rather be corrected than believe in something  that's not correct.

Thanks for the kind words.
73s
Terry

<snip>