How to fail at exams with dignity

Philip Miller Tate Philmt59 at aol.com
Sat Jan 17 05:30:11 CST 2009

They may be the happiest people at the time, but when you amass a
population of young people who are ignorant and proud of it, there's
precious little dignity left to fall back on (and only a limited
number of jobs at fast-food restaurants).

Interestingly, friends of mine gave me a MENSA puzzle-a-day calendar
for Christmas. Tellingly, all the 'word' problems (e.g. anagrams,
find a word that can prefix all the following words, etc.) are
considered "easy" and score only one or two points. I really struggle
with them (and hate word games like 'Scrabble' which I find horribly
frustrating). However, any puzzle involving any kind of maths,
however trivial, scores five points and I complete them with ease. It
will be interesting to see what my students make of them.

<sigh>

Phil M1GWZ